Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Only now does it occur to me... CHILDREN OF THE CORN

Only now does it occur to me...  that the true highlight of CHILDREN OF THE CORN is not the weirdo kiddie preacher performance by John Franklin, nor the frequent corn-cobbin' crucifixions, nor the hideous pacing.  It is the unusual (and ultimately sort of sad) battle that pre-TERMINATOR Linda Hamilton wages against her own dignity in the following clip in which, á la some pocket of THE TWILIGHT ZONE, time itself seems to slow until it stops.  We feel your pain, Linda.



Though, I also feel as if she could have easily snagged a nomination at my GIANT OSCAR MESS in the category of "Best Wackified Solo Dance."

5 comments:

Jack Thursby said...

No matter how many times I see that dance montage from NOES 2 it never ceases to amaze me that it exists.

Anonymous said...

HERE WE GO. HALLOWEEN IT UP MAN.

Sean Gill said...

Jack,

Agreed– and I will never tire of finding new ways to repost it in all of its glory!

Anon.,

I'm gonna try my best, man!

Unknown said...

After watching that clip of Linda Hamilton strutting her stuff I wonder if she made a bet with Ed Harris on who could have the dorkier dance moves... I think I'll have to give the win to Harris but then I'm afraid he'd beat the crap out of me. After seeing that clip, the killer kids in the corn fields can't come soon enough!

Sean Gill said...

J.D.,

Ha! I'd pause before critiquing Ed's dance moves, too.

And this comes soon after a violent, killer corn kid prologue (probably the actual best scene in the movie), so this excruciatingly paced "get to know the characters" scene feels even longer in context. Of course, the rest of the movie is kind of a letdown, but what are you gonna do?