Thursday, May 16, 2013

Only now does it occur to me... FIRE AND ICE

Only now does it occur to me... that Susan Tyrrell, one of the most fearless, talented, and outrageous performers of her (or any other) generation, is the voice of the evil Queen Juliana in Ralph Bakshi's outrageous, rotoscope-animated barbarian movie, FIRE AND ICE.

 ...and she absolutely sounds like she's drunk throughout, which is as it should be.

This film is basically the animated version of CONAN THE BARBARIAN and maybe the album cover to Rick James' THROWIN' DOWN:

 or maybe a twelve-year-old's daydream (...during a Robert Frost lecture?), and as such, is ridiculous.

 

But I suppose it's all worth it to hear Susan Tyrrell roar to the heavens in abject horror:

AWRRRRRRRRRR!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Alto, I always felt that the filmmaker shoulda aimed for an R rated tale a la HEAVY METAL, but maybe that's just me.

Sean Gill said...

J.D.,

You're probably right- they'd already alienated the family viewers with the violence and the cheese/beefcake, so they may as well have gone full throttle John Milius R-mode.

jervaise brooke hamster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jervaise brooke hamster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John Guedes said...

Tyrell also did the voiceover narration on Bakshi's Wizards. Her scratchy vocals are perfect for these kind of animated movies.

...and I just wanted to add that Princess Teegra's belly dancer curves did strange things to me when I was young boy.

Sean Gill said...

John,

Agreed re: Tyrell. I've not yet seen WIZARDS, but it's been on the list for a while.

I unfortunately didn't see FIRE AND ICE when I was younger, so I can't exactly speak to the apparent nigh-magical impact that Teegra had on an entire generation!