Monday, March 16, 2015

Only now does it occur to me... WATERSHIP DOWN

Only now does it occur to me...  that out of every hardboiled caper, martial arts tournament film, bloody shoot 'em up, or gritty gang movie of the 1970s, the most badass tagline of the decade just might belong to an animated film about rabbits.

Seriously, though:
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you...
But first they must catch you." 

(It also bears mentioning that this is a wonderful, poetic, brutal work, a true labor of love from its makers, and one of the all-time great animated films.  I advise you to check out the recent Criterion release, as well as another, lesser-known film from the same novelist/director/vocal talent, called THE PLAGUE DOGS.)

2 comments:

Buck Atwater said...

I remember seeing this when they played it in school when I was in grade 2 or 3 in the late 80's. It had some pretty heavy shit in it for what the teachers must of thought was a kids movie.

Sean Gill said...

Buck,

Oh, definitely––one of those great fantastically morbid childhood movies. I saw it when I was a kid, too, and I have to say it really holds up.