Saturday, January 19, 2013

Only now does it occur to me... MAGIC MIKE

Only now does it occur to me...  that I can predict the future!  Over four years ago, I wrote a facetious musical analysis of the Skatt Brothers' leather cowboy disco classic "Life at the Outpost," and in it, I claimed that the lead singer was in fact Matthew McConaughey, of DAZED AND CONFUSED and BOYS ON THE SIDE fame.
Though this man is not, in fact, McConaughey, in 2012 Steven Soderbergh made a film about male strippers entitled MAGIC MIKE.  During said film, McConaughey comports himself and dresses exactly like the sweat-drenched hard-lovin' gentlemen of The Outpost!  

Also, he busts a guitar like Pete Townsend:

And has a marble statue carved in his likeness:
(which I think as a gift item should be available to the public)

I must say– I was never the biggest fan of McConaughey (outside of his roles in DAZED AND CONFUSED and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE NEW GENERATION), but if what I've seen recently is any indication, hopefully he's trading in the dialed-in rom-coms (FOOL'S GOLD, FAILURE TO LAUNCH) and laughably soulless Oscar bait (THE PAPERBOY) for nuanced, hilarious character actor performances in films like MAGIC MIKE, BERNIE, and KILLER JOE.

No comments: