Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Only now does it occur to me... MUPPETS MOST WANTED

Only now does it occur to me...  that the new Muppet movie series has finally succeeded in recapturing the spirit of the 1980s... by casting Danny Trejo as a prisoner!  And not just any prisoner– while the rest of them have colorful names, Danny Trejo plays... Danny Trejo.

Also, you are not hallucinating– that's Ray Liotta glowering beside him.  And no, that's not an ordinary prison, that is a Siberian gulag.  So let's allow this to sink in for a minute:  we are seeing Danny Trejo and Ray Liotta as prisoners in a Siberian gulag in a Muppet movie from 2014.

I have often made claims that "technically it's not a prison movie unless Danny Trejo's in it" and that "it's technically not an 80s action movie unless Danny Trejo plays a prisoner or Al Leong plays a henchman," so this technically fulfills all requirements...

...and then some.  I mean, just look at this.  Trejo and Liotta involved in a show-stoppin' song n' dance number while their Commandant Tina Fey and Kermit and Miss Piggy and Kermit's evil doppelgänger look on.  I mean, this is kind of why you watch a Muppet movie in the first place.

There's a lot of other quasi-mind-blowing cameos which I shan't spoil, but as long as we're talking the 1980s, I have to mention that Kermit and Miss Piggy are married by Skeletor (Frank Langella).

In the end, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.  I found it far superior to THE MUPPETS (2011), and a return to madcap form.

No comments: