Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Only now does it occur to me... THE PELICAN BRIEF

Only now does it occur to me...  that you must repeatedly watch the following clip, apropos of nothing:

As far as 90s John Grisham movies with all-star casts go, I don't rate this one as highly as THE FIRM or THE CLIENT, but it's a nice Southern-Fried Hitchcock-style thriller (not to be confused with Crawdad-Lickin' Southern-Fried Sleaze-O-Rama, unfortunately) with a solid James Horner score and nice bit parts from the likes of John Lithgow, Anthony Heald, William Atherton, and Stanley Tucci.  Carry on.

4 comments:

Cannon said...

I see your one, random, unintentionally whacky Pelican Brief car explosion clip and raise you a Rosalind Shays' elevator death from LA Law: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8FIbuoWPY

Anyways, I'm now compelled to revisit Sleeping with the Enemy. From the early 90s' era of psychological-thriller-cum-microwave-dinner-movies, for some reason this young Roberts vehicle always held my fancy. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's just so, I dunno, microwaveable (also: Kevin Anderson's hair—seriously).

Sean Gill said...

Cannon,

Very well done! And I believe I may be due for a SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY revisit myself.

Unknown said...

I'll happily thrown down Julia in FLATLINERS, a guilty pleasure of mine that sees elements of the Brat Pack tackle the science fiction genre... err, well, sort of. She's not very good in it as Kiefer Sutherland plays yet another creep (see STAND BY ME, BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY, etc.) that we're supposed to sympathize with.

Sean Gill said...

J.D.,

I saw FLATLINERS probably 10-12 years ago; I remember really enjoying the premise and the first hour or so, but then finding that it lost steam as it neared its resolution. But still, a pretty weirdo medical-horror/sci-fi mash-up that seemed an unlikely candidate for an "A"-budget production. I think I'm due for a revisit one of these days.