Sunday, December 23, 2012

Only now does it occur to me... INDECENT PROPOSAL

Only now does it occur to me... that my favorite part of INDECENT PROPOSAL may very well be the brief, incredibly ill-advised flashback whereupon the thirty-one year old Demi Moore and the thirty-two year old Woody Harrelson are depicted as high school students.



Please bear in mind that this film is in no way intended to be a comedy.  
Adrian Lyne films generally fall into two camps:  Camp A:  slick, well-acted, extremely sincere fare (FLASHDANCE, INDECENT PROPOSAL, 9 1/2 WEEKS, FATAL ATTRACTION) that's designed as erotica Oscar bait but ends up in hindsight possessing uncommonly well-crafted unintentional hilarity.  Camp B:  JACOB'S LADDER.  And don't get me wrong: I love Adrian Lyne, just occasionally for the wrong reasons.  He's sort of an unsung 80s/90s commercial auteur, perhaps comparable to a Philip Noyce or an Alan Parker or, on his best days, a Philip Kaufman.  I'm also kind of excited to see that Lyne has his first film in a decade coming out next year, BACK ROADS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just....that's beyond incredible. Bravo!

Sean Gill said...

Glad you enjoyed, Mike!

Anonymous said...

My God, I never knew he directed Jacob's Ladder. Will you review it anytime in the future? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Sean Gill said...

Anon.,

I would like to take a look at JACOB'S LADDER again sometime, it's long been one that I enjoy quite a bit, and it's influence (for better or for ill) on the aesthetics of contemporary horror (film and video game alike) cannot be denied.